Friday, October 1, 2010

Winning, friends

This is a week of two potlucks. I don't know if you can tell but I am pretty competitive when it comes to most things in life, and even in general I see life as a competition to have the coolest life out of everyone who has ever lived, so, you know, needless to say that I do get a little Bree Van de Kamp when it comes to potlucks.

Wednesday I made a red quinoa salad with some julliened squash, the first pomegranate that I saw at Berkeley Bowl this fall, and the last of the preserved lemon in my fridge from last year (time to preserve some more lemons). More or less it was a leftover salad--even the pomegranate I had bought a week ago for a dinner party, but I didn't serve it because Mitra wasn't there and it just seems wrong to serve pomegranate to guests other than Mitra. Anyway, despite being leftovers it turned out pretty well, mostly people liked it because they were fascinated by quinoa, either because they had never seen it before or because they recognized it as the healthiest food ever. There is really no middle ground between these as far as quinoa goes.

This morning I am in the process of making a melon and tomato salad with mint. I guess it's still kind of summer in Oakland, and late summer is heavy dripping tomatoes and melons still warm from the sun. Yes.

No comments:

Post a Comment