Wednesday, April 27, 2011

It only takes a moment

Good news everyone! Choir went really well tonight. It also went until 8 PM, which nobody knew until 7:30 PM, when choir rehearsal normally ends. But, unlike Tuesday, the extra 20 minutes were not monotonically more disastrous, so staying a little longer wasn't too big of a deal.

Except if you were hungry because you were like me and you ate only quinoa and broccoli for lunch and then went for a run later in the day. Sometime in the middle of this one song about a pelican I shouted out, "THAT'S IT I'M JUST GETTING A BURRITO TONIGHT." Well, I shouted it in my head. Then on my way home I stopped at two separate burrito places but somehow couldn't find bike parking at either of them. The burrito-eating and bike-riding demographics of the Bay Area match up pretty closely, to the point where the official mascot of The Mission is a taco riding a fixie drinking coffee and using an iPhone, so this wasn't very surprising. So I shouted "OKAY FINE I'M ALREADY HALFWAY TO TRADER JOE'S I'LL JUST GO THERE JESUS H CHRIST ALMIGHTY." This time for real.

So shortly after I walking through the door of my favorite store, Trader Joe's, I was just struck by this flash of inspiration--beans on toast. I have bacon grease. I can fry the beans in the bacon grease. Then I'll put an egg on top. I need eggs anyway. Maybe a salad for decoration. Yes.

I don't think there is an increment of time small enough to describe how quickly this came together after I got home. Despite that, it was pretty good! Maybe a little better if I had used flavorful beans that I had cooked myself instead of canned beans. One of my New Year's Resolutions for 2010 was not to use canned beans anymore. But I think how that works is that you only have to do those for one year and then you can go back.

Gosh, I have been doing too much super fast cooking lately! It's been kind of inspiring but also I kind of need to get lost in deboning oxtail or something or I might go crazy!

2 comments:

  1. I'm surprised you didn't buy some tortillas and make your own burrito!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Honestly I've tried making my own burrito and it just can't stack up to anything I can get out here in SF. There are so many elements--the braised meat, the salsa, steaming the tortilla, the rice, the beans--that I inevitably mess up something and it doesn't satisfy.

    ReplyDelete